Hi everyone, just an update on my proposal for an XTC convention [rescheduled]. I think it would be best to hold it in Swindon and if it is successful we could perhaps organise one abroad in the future for our American, European and Japanese friends. I was thinking around September next year and was hoping to incorporate perhaps a tour of Swindon to see where the band grew up, rehearsed, recorded and played. Perhaps the convention [rescheduled] could be held in somewhere like the Brunel Rooms or a local pub. We could make it a fab day or weekend of XTC stories, fans thoughts, a singalong, a disco perhaps or XTC Karaoke, quizzes, videos and any other XTC related interest. It would be amazing if one of the band would make a special appearance. I went to the XTC convention [rescheduled] in Manchester 25 years ago and it was fab. It would be nice if we could do it all again. Let us know your thoughts. Cheers, Steve.
When you say interest is increasing, what numbers are we talking? How many are on these Facebook groups? Is it 25 years since Manchester? I didn't go but I vaguely remember hearing about Frank Sidebottom turning up? Maybe it was just a bad acid trip For those interested I hope it works out. Good luck!
XTC convention [rescheduled] 2017 - Southbrook Inn, Swindon TENTATIVE SCHEDULE (subject to change) -------------------------------------------------------------- FRIDAY SEPT 15 19:00 (7PM) – Doors Open at the backroom of the Southbrook Inn pub • the pub will have food and drink available for purchase
19:30 – 22:30 (7:30-10:30PM) – Open Mic • play an instrument, sing, dance, karaoke, poetry reading, or just get up and introduce yourself to the group! No set format, just make sure it’s XTC related and don’t hog the stage, so that everyone who wants to get up there in front of the mic will have a chance to.
22:30 – 23:00 (10:30-11:00PM) – Finish your food and drinks and prepare for the next day
SATURDAY SEPT 16 10:00 – 11:45 AM – Walking tour of Swindon • Gaz will lead you around Swindon, pointing out various XTC related sites 11:45 – 12:00 – After the tour Gaz will lead the group in a parade to the Southbrook Inn pub for the convention [rescheduled] OR 11:00 – 12:00 – If you want to skip the walking tour you can come straight to the Southbrook Inn pub where Tim will welcome you.
12:00 – 12:30 – Everyone arrives by this time
12:30 – Opening remarks by event organizers
13:00 – 14:00 (1PM-2PM) – QUIZ
14:00 – 14:30 (2:00-2:30PM) – Raffle
14:30 – 15:30 (2:30-3:30PM) – Panel Discussion (participants to be announced later)
15:30 – 16:00 – Nothing scheduled
16:00 – 17:00 (4PM-5PM) – Video presentation
17:00 – 19.00 (5PM-7PM) - Nothing scheduled • This can be your time to stop back at your hotel or maybe grab a bite to eat somewhere • But the room will still be ours, and the pub will serve food and drinks, so you don’t have to leave at all if you don’t want to!
19.00 – 22:30 (7:00-10:30PM) – Tribute Band(s) play (participants to be announced later)
22:30 – 23:00 (10:30-11:00PM) – Clean up the room, if everyone helps out it should go quick
SUNDAY SEPT 17 09:30 – 09:55 – Everyone meets at ______ (starting point will be announced later)
10:00 –14:00 (10:00AM - 2:00PM) – Buses/coaches will take us to Uffington White Chalk Horse, with a few stops along the way, including the Swindon bandstand where Andy & Dave were filmed doing acoustic version of Train Running Low On Soul Coal NOTE: Buses/coaches will leave promptly at 10AM, with or without you, so do plan to arrive earlier than 10AM
14:00 – 14:30 (2:00-2:30PM) – Buses/coaches return us to our starting place and we say our goodbyes!
Huzzah! and congratulations to all involved for making the convention [rescheduled] a reality. Although I've never been to a gathering [now limited to 250 people or less]/convention [rescheduled], I've met a few fans/forumers and found them to be some of the nicest and wittiest folks around. A fine time will be had by all.
RECAP – Just wanted to summarize some of the info below so that it’s all in one place.
- There will be a convention [rescheduled] of XTC fans the weekend of Sept 15-17, 2017, town of Swindon, in the UK. Friday night and Saturday events will be held at the Southbrook Inn pub, Southbrook St, Swindon. www.thesouthbrook.co.uk/
(Food and drink will be available for purchase there, both Friday and Saturday.) Sunday will be a coach/bus trip to the Uffington White Chalk Horse (seen on cover of English Settlement).
- convention [rescheduled] is intended as an easy-going, laid back, stress free and relaxed event for people attending and for the people organising it. There will be an Open Mic evening, Walking Tour of Town Centre, Quiz, Panel Discussion, Tribute Acts and much more. Complainers need not attend.
Tickets are non-refundable. For multiple reasons there will be no tickets sold at the door. All tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Colin Moulding and Terry Chambers have agreed to stop by the convention [rescheduled]. We do not know when (either Friday night or Saturday daytime) nor any other details, but will let everyone know once the details have been worked out.
- You should feel free to stay at any hotel you like in Swindon, but we do recommend the Jury’s Inn, as it’s a nice place, a 5-minute walk from the train station and about a 15-18 minute walk to the convention [rescheduled] spot. They are also giving us a 20% group discount rate – PM (Private Message) Tim Kendrick for discount code. Link here: www.jurysinns.com/hotels/swindon
- You will get your physical ticket on the Friday evening, 15-Sept, when you arrive at the Southbrook Inn between 7-8PM (19.00-20.00). It was brilliantly designed by Laurie Schappert.